Northern Red Oak Fact Sheet
Family: Fagaceae - Beech family
Latin name: Quercus rubra
Common name: Northern red oak
Identification features for Quercus rubra
- Alternate, simple, deciduous
- Shallow lobes are shallow to deeply lobed
- Tips with bristles
- Vein axils often have hairy tufts
- Young bark smooth, slate grey
- Mature bark has long, low, gray ridges
- Shallow cap, covering 1/4 to 1/3 (seldom this large)
- Acorns mature in second autumn and 1st and 2nd year acorns are usually present at the same time.
- Acorns are single or in groups of 2 - 5.
TreeTopics.com © Copyright 2004 - 2023
Please ask for permission before using this site's photographs.
Send email to KarenW (at) treetopics.com
Any permission granted at our sole discretion will be subject to a
clear credit to TreeTopics.com and a link to the relevant page of our site.
TreeTopics.com Home Page