Common Buckthorn Fact Sheet
Family: Rhamnaceae - Buckthorn Family
Latin name: Rhamnus cathartica
Common name: Common buckthorn
The photos on this page are scans from a very small plant growing at the base of the large Catalpa at P21.
- Egg-shaped, pointed at the tip
- 3-5 pair of curved leaf veins
- margins finely-toothed
- stay green late into fall
- may have stout sharp thorn at the end
- leaves are alternate to sub-opposite, varies along the twig
- small, imbricate, appressed
- using a hand lens, I observed two thin structures (like tiny thin leaves) beside each bud (terminal and lateral). These can be seen in the Gallery Page photos.
Karren Wcisel © copyright
Send email to Karrenw@aol.com
Please ask for permission before using my photographs. Larger sizes and additional photographs
of the tree are often available.
TreeTopics.com Home Page