Northern Red Oak Fact Sheet
Family: Fagaceae - Beech family
Latin name: Quercus rubra
Common name: Northern red oak
Identification features for Quercus rubra
- Alternate, simple, deciduous
- Shallow lobes are shallow to deeply lobed
- Tips with bristles
- Vein axils often have hairy tufts
- Young bark smooth, slate grey
- Mature bark has long, low, gray ridges
- Shallow cap, covering 1/4 to 1/3 (seldom this large)
- Acorns mature in second autumn and 1st and 2nd year acorns are usually present at the same time.
- Acorns are single or in groups of 2 - 5.
Karren Wcisel © copyright
2009 - 2010
Send email to Karrenw@aol.com
Please ask for permission before using my photographs. Larger sizes and additional photographs
of the tree are often available.
TreeTopics.com Home Page